If your idea of holiday shopping is buying what a robot thinks you want, you’re missing out. Call us old-fashioned, but we think there’s something irresistible about strolling through cute downtown districts and their locally owned stores in search of unique treasures for everyone on your list. So, we tracked down a few ideas to help you get started.
1. Antique walnut desk, circa 1800s. $1,795. Similar pieces also in stock. Available at Roscoe Woodstock Antique Mall, 890 Lake Ave., Woodstock.
2. Vintage-inspired engagement rings, bands and anniversary rings. Available at Gem Shop, 110 W. Main St., Rockton, Ill.
3. 8-ounce wild-caught salmon, $11.99. 8-ounce choice beef tenderloin, $12.99. Available at 640 Meats, 6410 E. Riverside Blvd., Loves Park, Ill.
4. Reclaimed teak handcrafted mushrooms, $100-$400. Scandinavian gnomes, $9.95-$85. Multiple sizes available for both items. Available at Shine Boutique, 6730 Broadcast Parkway, Loves Park, Ill.
5. Trophy Whiskey and American Gold Whiskey, locally crafted. Trophy $40 or $72; American Gold $27-$42. Available at Rush Creek Distillery Tasting Room, 1501 W. Diggins St., Harvard.
6. Gift certificates available for massage, acupuncture, reflexology or other wellness services. A one-hour massage for new clients is $28. Available at Circle of Wellness, 3626 E. State St., Rockford.
7. Luxe Indulgences Hand and Body Creme by Laura Mercier. Comes in Creme Brulee, Tarte Au Citron, Ambre Vanille and Almond Coconut Milk (pictured), $36. Available at Arch, 214 E. State St., Rockford. Also in Chicago’s Old Town neighborhood, downtown Madison, Wis., and Milwaukee’s Third Ward.
8. Polar 20.9-ounce stainless steel tumbler, $19.99. Available at Higher Grounds, 1709 S. West Ave., Freeport.
9. The Stressless Skyline, the “world’s most comfortable recliner,” made in Norway, $3,995. Available at Benson Stone Co., 1100 11th St., Rockford.
10. JKT Buffalo plaid fleece, $89. Knit ribbed fringe infinity scarf, $15. Available at Roxy Carmichael, 310 N. Alpine Road, Rockford.
11. Poinsettias, $8-$45. Range in size and colors. Available at K + W Greenery, 1328 U.S. Route 14, Janesville.
12. 15.5-ounce rosemary eucalyptus fragrance candle by LAFCO New York, $65. Rosemary eucalyptus bar soap by LAFCO New York, $11. Available at Poska, 2213 E. State St., Rockford.
13. Gift certificates available. Pictured: Sicilian Baked Chicken, $16.95. Available at Salamone’s North, 2583 N. Mulford Road, Rockford.
14. Slim-fit, nomad green women’s Radalie Parka by Patagonia, $199. Insulated and water repellent. Available at Golf Shack, 1631 N. Bell School Road, Rockford.
15. 12 Soaps of Christmas, $40. Individual soaps, $6.25-$6.75. Available at Oregon Soap Shoppe, 91C Daysville Road, Oregon, Ill.
16. Handmade artisan chocolate by Cacaocuvée, $7.50-$69. The Macallan M Highland single malt scotch whiskey, $5,000. Available at Artale Wine Co., 6876 Spring Creek Road, Rockford.
17. LOF (Love of Fashion) plaid smartphone gloves, $14. Available at Lallygag Boutique, 4616 E. State St., Rockford.
18. Albany Industries Wesley Toast Gold Rush Cafe 2-Piece Sectional, $869.99 financing price ($24.16 per month) or $759.99 paid in full. Ottoman not included. Available at Gustafson’s Furniture and Mattress, 6651 E. State St., Rockford.
19. Apple cinnamon pancake mix and Wisconsin-made, all-natural maple syrup by Maple Hollow. Pancake mix $6.95 and up; Maple syrup $5.95 and up. Available at The Bramble Patch, 102 Fifth Ave., New Glarus, Wis.
20. Artisinal cheese and meat gift baskets by Shullsburg Creamery. Prices vary by assortment. Pictured: Deer Camp $64, and Longhorn Tin $16.50. Available at Shullsburg Creamery, 210 Water St., Shullsburg, Wis., or shullsburgcheesestore.com.
21. Gift certificates for ride fares. Available at Stateline Mass Transit District, 110 E. Main St., Rockton, Ill.
22. Tickets to events at the Coronado Performing Arts Center, 314 N. Main St., Rockford.
► One Night of Queen, March 30, 8 p.m.
► Ron White, Jan. 12, 8 p.m.
► The Elvis Tribute Spectacular, Jan. 18, 8 p.m.