Mind & Spirit

Country Church/City Church

By

Organized religion played a major role in the settling of Illinois and continues to influence the culture of our region. We enjoy highlighting places of worship, one in the country and one in the city, in each issue.

Mind-Church1-S17

Country Church: Peach Church in Christ • Est. 1887

312 E. South St., Browntown, Wis., (608) 966-3035, peacechurchbrowntown.com

Located in the small town of Browntown, Wis., Peace Church in Christ has been an important part of the community for 130 years.

Dedicated worshippers come from Monroe and other surrounding communities to attend services. Visitors are always welcome at this evangelical church and the congregation closely follows traditional Christian creeds.

This church offers a blended worship celebration, meaning congregants sing both traditional hymns and contemporary songs. Worship services also include Bible reading and prayer.

You won’t feel out of place if you don’t dress up at this church, because the attire is casual.

The congregation is committed to local service work and supports mission projects designed to help local needy people.

One of those missions is the Buddy Backpack Program, run by the Monroe School District. It provides food for elementary and middle school students from low-income families. Members of the congregation also donate to the Green County Habitat for Humanity, which provides modest, affordable homes to families in need and repair assistance to existing homes.

Church members also support the Family Promise of Green County, which cares for homeless citizens by providing shelter, meals and support.

Pastor H. Wayne Gregory leads an hour-long Sunday morning worship celebration beginning at 10 a.m. Stick around after church service for refreshments in the church foyer.

Mind-Church2-S17

City Church: St. Peter Catholic Church • Est. 1908

620 Blackhawk Blvd., South Beloit, Ill., (815) 525-3400, st-peter-church.com

St. Peter Catholic Church is an historic staple of South Beloit, Ill., with 703 registered families.

On Jan. 30, 1910, a building at the corner of Clark and Hayes streets was dedicated. It had no electricity or plumbing and was the first church to stand in unincorporated South Beloit.

In 1915, a new brick church and rectory was constructed at the present location. Both buildings, which were completed in 1925, are being used to this day.

At this church, the congregation has an opportunity to serve the community through many ministries.

The Mary Undoer of Knots and Crochet and Knitting Ministry helps the needy in the community by providing handmade hats, mittens, baby blankets and prayer shawls, among other things.

In addition, St. Vincent De Paul Conference of St. Peter Parish, a group of churchgoers, works to serve the poor, the sick, lonely and marginalized. Among other things, they provide a food pantry on the first Wednesday of each month and lunch twice weekly for the needy.

The Knights of Columbus ministry hosts a pancake breakfast each month to raise money for the community.

The Rev. Fr. Steven M. Sabo leads mass, which is celebrated Mondays at 7 p.m. and Tues.-Sat. at 7 and 8:15 a.m. Saturday mass is held at 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.; Sunday mass is at 7:30, 9:30 and 11 a.m.

A Spanish-language mass is celebrated Saturday at 6:30 p.m. and Sunday at 12:30 p.m.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.