It may be cold outside, but there are plenty of ways to get out and play in the snow. Test your knowledge of wintertime activities you can find in our region. No peeking! Answers posted below.
1. Which of the following Olympic figure skaters is NOT from Chicago?
A) Janet Lynn
B) Evan Lysacek
C) Kristi Yamaguchi
D) Dorothy Hamill
2. The Rockford Park District manages how many indoor ice skating rinks?
3. The Alpine Valley Resort includes a ski run measuring about 2,500 feet. Where is this resort located?
A) Janesville, Wis.
B) Elkhorn, Wis.
C) Oconomowoc, Wis.
D) Whitewater, Wis.
4. Which of the following was NOT one of the possible team names for the Rockford IceHogs hockey team, now an AHL affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks?
B) Mighty Oaks
C) Ice Rangers
5. Janesville, Wis., native Tucker Fredricks has competed at the Olympics three times in which sport?
D) Speed skating
6. At the Snow Days Chicago festival each February, local residents and worldwide visiting teams participate in what kind of competition?
A) Ice skating
B) Snowshoe racing
C) Snow sculpting
7. The United States Curling Association (USCA) headquarters are located in which state?
8. Which Chicago athlete began bobsledding only two years before competing in the 2014 Winter Olympics?
A) Shani Davis
B) Bobby Hull
C) Laura Granville
D) Aja Evans
9. Where is the largest snowboarding terrain park in the Midwest located?
10. In which city can you jump, while wearing skis, from a tower that rises nearly 1,000 feet in the air?
A) Madison, Wis.
B) Fox River Grove
D) Lake Geneva
1. C: 1992 gold medalist Kristi Yamaguchi was born in Hayward, Calif., while medalists Janet Lynn, Evan Lysacek and Dorothy Hamill are all from the Windy City.
2. B: The Rockford Park District manages Carlson Ice Arena and Riverview Ice House. Check rockfordparkdistrict.org for public skate times.
3. B: The Alpine Valley Resort is found in Elkhorn, Wis.
4. A: Mustangs. When the IceHogs franchise began in 1999, it held a public vote to select the team’s name.
5. D: Speed skating. Tucker Fredricks participated in the 2006, 2010 and 2014 Olympic Men’s Speed Skating 500-meter events, placing 25th, 12th and 26th, respectively.
6. C: Snow sculpting. The annual Snow Days Chicago takes place at Navy Pier and its Polk Bros. Park. Cash awards are given to the first-, second- and third-place winners.
7. A: The United States Curling Association, with headquarters in Stevens Point, Wis., handles decisions related to the U.S. Olympic curling teams.
8. D: A former University of Illinois track star, Aja Evans placed third in bobsledding at her first Olympic games.
9. B: Chestnut Mountain Resort in Galena has a seven-acre snowboarding terrain park called “The Farside.”
10. B: The Norge Ski Club, in Fox River Grove, claims to be the oldest continuously open ski club in the U.S. Its signature tower is a training ground for some of the nation’s top junior jumpers.