Our region has long been a stomping ground for phenomenal musicians. Test your knowledge about some local legends. No peeking! Answers below.
1. Out of the following Cheap Trick band members, which one was NOT born in Rockford?
A) Bun E. Carlos B) Tom Petersson
C) Robin Zander D) Rick Nielsen
2. Using your answer for #1, where was this Cheap Trick musician actually from?
A) Chicago B) Beloit
C) Peoria D) Belvidere
3. Which Disney princess did Rockford-native Jodi Benson voice in a famous Disney movie?
A) Ariel B) Cinderella
C) Jasmine D) Belle
4. Which famous current rapper was raised in Chicago?
A) Drake B) Eminem
C) Kanye West D) Nicki Minaj
5. Which top-five American Idol contestant was born in Rockford?
A) Taylor Hicks B) Chris Daughtry
C) Katherine McPhee D) Paris Bennett
6. Which Chicago band was originally called “The Tradewinds?”
A) Smashing Pumpkins B) Styx
C) Barlow Girl D) Fall Out Boy
7. Which of the following was from Rockford and sang back-up vocals to Beyoncé in the R&B group Destiny’s Child?
A) LeToya Luckett B) Farrah Franklin
C) LaTavia Roberson D) Michelle Williams
8. Which musician from Chicago was the executive producer of the 68th Annual Academy Awards?
A) Quincy Jones B) Benny Goodman
C) Paul Butterfield D) Sonny Rollins
9. What is the oldest outdoor music festival in the United States?
A) Jazz ‘N the Street, La Salle B) Ravinia, HIghland Park
C) Old Settlers Days, Rockton D) Lollapalooza, Chicago
10. Which singer/actress from the 2006 movie Dreamgirls is originally from Chicago?
A) Beyoncé Knowles B) Anika Noni Rose
C) Jennifer Hudson D) Sharon Leal
1. C. Robin Zander was not born in Rockford. He is the lead singer for Cheap Trick and began his work with the band in 1972 after Randy Hogan was fired.
2. B. Robin Zander was originally from Beloit. Living so close to Rockford helped him to meet and join Cheap Trick.
3. A. Jodi Benson played the role of Ariel in the 1989 movie The Little Mermaid. She received a Disney Legends Award in 2011, after voicing various other characters in Disney movies, including Barbie in Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3.
4. C. Rapper Kanye West has sold more than 87 million records and won numerous awards for his work.
5. D. Paris Bennett, born in Rockford, came in fifth place on the fifth season of American Idol. Since performing on the hit TV show, she has appeared on many different talk shows, including The Ellen Degeneres Show, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and The Today Show.
6. B. Styx was named “The Tradewinds” until 1965, when another band of the same name became popular. Formed by twin brothers from Chicago’s Roseland neighborhood, Styx took its current name in 1972, inspired by Greek mythology.
7. D. Michelle Williams, originally from Rockford, worked with Destiny’s Child, which led her to many other singing and acting jobs throughout her career. For example, she performed the role of Shug Avery in the 2007 national tour of the musical The Color Purple.
8. A. In addition to hosting the Grammy Awards, Quincy Jones has won many Grammys throughout his career. He was also named one of the most influential jazz musicians in the 20th century by Time Magazine.
9. B. Highland Park’s Ravinia Music Festival started in 1904 as part of an amusement park. Each summer, world-class artists perform at three venues, including the open-air pavilion, with views from the lawn – a popular picnic spot.
10. C. Jennifer Hudson played the character of Effie White in the movie Dreamgirls, a role for which she won an Academy Award. Hudson also competed in the third season of American Idol, finishing in seventh place.